Monday, January 4, 2010

What is Important to Me in 2010

Heavy question. I've thought alot over the last part of this year about what is really important to me. I've come up with a pretty short list-in no particuar order.
1. Being a good parent. That's a given, I suppose, but how often have you thought of the enormity of that responsibility. The responsibility to my children to teach them right from wrong, to be compassionate and generous, to be responsibile and kind, to trust their relationship with God, or me to constantly model all of those behaviors. Almost more than you can bear.
2. Being a good daughter. What does that mean? When I think of my children, I inevitably think of my parents. They need to know I love them, respect them; and, they need to know they did an ok job of raising me. (Hopefully, they think this!). I want them to have a good relationship with my kids, and I need to constantly let them know what the gift of my happy childhood means to me and continues to do for me.
3. Being a good wife. It is so easy to take your spouse for granted, and I know I do it regularly. He knows I love him. He needs to know how much I like him. How much I appreciate how dependable and helpful he is. How much fun we have when we get those treasured moments alone. I lucked out in the husband department, and I don't tell him that enough.
4. Being a good Christian. My relationship with God has grown and matured. I concentrate on wanting my actions to reflect to everyone with whom I interact what being a Christian means. Of course, if I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing, this definition will change from time to time.
That's it! All of the other little things fit someone or another into one of these categories. Through many trials, loss of friends and family members, illnesses, and job losses, these four things have gotten me through. Happy 2010. What is most important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment