Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why I Chose to Become a Lawyer

I wish there were an inspiring answer to the question, "why did you become a lawyer?" The truth is, I don't remember the exact moment. I wish it were something altruistic, like an uncontrollable desire to help those in need. Yes, I have volunteered many hours for Volunteer Legal Services and it does feel amazing to help someone get disability benefits or to leave an abusive marriage. I went to Girl's State in 1987 and that was my first introduction to the world of politics. I felt exhilarated learning I won the race for DA of my dorm. But I don't think either of those experiences was the true motivation. The hard truth is that, as an immature teeanger, I probably just thought being a lawyer would be glamorous and I would earn alot of money. The reality is that it is far from glamorous. It's plain hard work that never--never--stops. You're never "finished." It's dealing with alot of jerks and knowing that to be professional means not to reciprocate. Looking back now, with hopefully a little persepctive and a touch of wisdom, what I really think led me to the law is that I have a favorite uncle who is a lawyer. I think the world of him, and he makes me feel like I mean the world to him. He is what I imagine a big brother would be like. He is a good person -- a person who tells it like it is, enjoys life, and is smart, funny, and clever. He has a way of distilling what I think are huge problems to manageable decisions. And usually with a joke. I love him dearly, I think I wanted to be more like him and I wanted him to be proud of me. I guess that's not such a bad inspiration after all. And the money's not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment